Friday, April 13, 2012

Summer Smooches #3

Summer Smooches
Limited Edition
Fabric Brads
 Available this month only
(#125589  $6.95)

I was flipping through a garden magazine the other day and saw a sculpted topiary bush that tempted me into creating this...
You might be wondering about the Diet Coke can....well, I thought I had a terracotta pot, but I didn't.  I thought to myself, I'll finish this pop and run to the store . . . or maybe not!  So I cleaned out the can and Viola! My favorite drink sprouted my fantasy topiary.


I started with to different sized Styrofoam balls, the Summer Smooches Designer Series Paper (DSP) (#125409 $10.95), the Scallop Circle Punches (both sizes), and the Limited Edition Summer Smooches Fabric Brads.

 Punch out many...many...many scallop circles from the DSP, as well several strips in a variety of widths from one of the green designs from that same DSP.  Get your hot glue gun warmed up, find a nice branch from your yard, and something weigh down your pot (or can in this case).
Glue the strips over the balls so the white of the ball doesn't show through if you miss a spot later.  Add the Styrofoam balls to the ends of the branch and add the branch to the pot.  Hot glue, or Crystal Effects will help glue in the 'weight' to hold the branch in place.
 Snip all the scallop circles to create petals for your flowers, stack a few of them together for depth then add the Fabric brads to the enters.  Don't close the brads 'tails' use them to insert into the foam balls (use hot glue too).
Add some 'grass' made with thinly cut strips of card stock (I used Old Olive).  Wind a strip or two up the branch to look like vines.  The leaves were cut from the Summer Smooches DSP using the Build a Blossom Punch.

Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are, it could take you a little while to complete this project, but in reality it is a simple process...just takes a little patience.  Why not give it a try yourself!
 
 I hope you'll come back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment